Billing customers is one of business owners’ most important and sometimes most challenging tasks. You want to ensure that they receive accurate invoices promptly so you can get paid on time, but you also don’t want to spend hours manually generating and sending invoices. The good news is that you can easily generate, send and track your invoices within your store using the right Shopify plugins.
To send an invoice to customers on Shopify, install an invoicing app, such as Order Printer Pro or Sufio, from the Shopify App Store. Once installed, open it to begin creating and sending invoices to customers.
Keep reading to find out how to generate an invoice easily and send it to a customer from your Shopify store.
Does Shopify automatically send invoices?
Shopify doesn’t automatically send invoices to your customers. Instead, it requires you to manually enter each invoice as you fulfill orders, which can be time-consuming if you receive a large number of orders each day. To address that, use a third-party invoicing app that automates the process.
How to send invoices to your customers automatically
1. Install the invoicing app – Order Printer Pro
Before you do anything else, install an invoicing app from Shopify App Store. Many apps can help you generate and send invoices from your store; here, you can find a list of the best invoice apps for Shopify.
My favourite is Order Printer Pro.
In this case, I’ve chosen Order Printer Pro, one of the most popular invoicing apps in the Shopify App Store.
This app is an excellent choice because it’s established, affordable, and allows you to automatically generate invoices for each order and email them to customers.
To use the app, follow these steps:
- Go to the app store
- Click “Add app” and follow the instructions to install the app on your store
2. Set up automated invoice delivery
After you’ve installed the app, you can now set it up to deliver invoices to your customer every time they place an order.
Using this setup, we will add the invoice to the Shopify Order Confirmation email every customer receives with their order. That means they will always get their invoice.
Here are the steps:
Step 1 – Go to “Automated PDFs” & click “Setup PDF link”
Step 2 – Customise the settings to suit you best
Step 3 – Click the “Click to copy…” button to copy the code
Step 4 – Go to the Shopify Order Confirmation email
Click the button to find the “Shopify Order Confirmation email”. This is where we will paste the code.
Step 5 – Place the code in the Order Confirmation template
Paste the code where we have highlighted in the image below, or you can place the code wherever you fancy!
Now you can press save! If you get stuck with anything, watch their video walkthrough on how to set up the Order Printer Pro app.
The benefits of using automated invoicing apps
There are many pros to using automated invoicing apps on your Shopify store. Here are some of the main benefits:
- Quick and easy to set up: Invoicing apps usually only take a few minutes to install so that you can send invoices immediately.
- Automatic invoice generation: Many invoicing apps allow you to automatically generate invoices for each new order, which saves you time and makes billing your customers much easier.
- Professional invoices: Some invoicing apps allow you to customize your invoices so each one looks professional and is easy for the customer to understand.
- Easily track unpaid invoices: Some apps, such as Sufio, easily track which invoices were paid and which still need to be collected.
- Send an invoice as a downloadable link: Another great feature of invoicing apps is that you can send a link to the invoice as a downloadable file so your customers can access it anytime they need by simply logging in to their email accounts.
Overall, using invoicing apps on your Shopify store can save time and streamline your billing process. Whether you’re looking for an app that generates automatic invoices, allows you to customize your invoices, or sends a downloadable link to the invoice, there are numerous apps in the Shopify App Store to help you get the job done.