Customer data can be a sensitive asset and should be managed carefully. To ensure the safety of your customers’ data and comply with GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation), Shopify allows you to delete customer data from your store. But how do you delete customer data on Shopify?
To delete customer data on Shopify:
- Navigate to the Customers tab in your Shopify admin and select the customer you want to delete.
- Click “Erase personal data“ and confirm the deletion.
- Go back to the customers’ tab and verify the customer data has been deleted.
Step-by-step: Deleting customer data on Shopify
1. Locate the customer you want to erase data for
The first step is to go to your Shopify dashboard. The dashboard is where all the information about your store is stored. Once you’re logged in, you can begin erasing customer data. Here’s how to find the customer you want to delete:
- Go to the “Customers“ tab. That will take you to a page with a list of all customers who have purchased products from your store.
- Click on the name of the customer whose data you want to erase.
- Erase the customer’s personal data.
Once you’ve clicked on a customer’s name, a new window will appear with all of their personal information, such as:
- Their address
- Their phone number
- Their email address
At the bottom of this window, there will be an option to “Erase personal data.” Click this button to erase their personal information from your store’s database.
2. Confirm the erasure request & ensure data has been deleted
A pop-up window should now appear asking if you’re sure that you want to delete this customer’s data.
- Read the message carefully to ensure you understand what’s about to happen.
- If you’re sure, confirm the request. After that, the customer’s personal data will be erased from your store’s database.
- Verify that the data is deleted.
Now that the customer’s data has been erased, it’s essential to verify that it was deleted from your store’s database. Here are the steps:
- Go back to the list of customers.
- Check to see if the customer’s name is still listed. If it isn’t, you can be confident that their data has been erased from your store’s database.
Extra Tip: If you’re stuck in this process, don’t hesitate to contact the Shopify support team for help. They will answer questions and guide how to erase customer data from your store securely.
If you’re still not sure about how to delete customer data on Shopify, then watch this video for a more detailed explanation:
Deleting customer data from your Shopify store is a straightforward process that only takes a few minutes. Ensure you follow the steps above and verify that the data is deleted.
That way, you can be confident that your customer’s personal information is safe and secure. And if you ever need help, you can always contact the Shopify customer support team.