“About us” pages are a good way to let site visitors know exactly who you are and what you offer, so it’s important to make sure that your Shopify store has a good one. Our guide will tell you exactly how to add an about us page on Shopify in addition to some handy tips.
What should an About Us Page include?
An about us page is an important page that can provide website visitors with an extensive amount of information about your brand. Here are some things that you could put on your Shopify about us page.
- Your brand’s story – A brief recounting of how and why you started your business.
- Brand values – Communicating what issue your business intends to address or what cause it serves.
- Your business model or processes – You could use your page to explain how your products are made or how your business works.
- Key figures – You can make mention of key individuals associated with your brand. The founding members of your business are usually the go-to option in this regard.
- Contact information – Some may prefer to put this information on a dedicated contact page.
Try to remain as factual as possible and avoid repeating things that have appeared on your home page.
How to add an About Us page in Shopify
The platform’s interface makes it very easy for online business owners to update and edit their Shopify stores.
You have two options:
- Using the native Shopify page builder
- Using a page building app
1. Using the native Shopify builder
Using this method will use the styling of your Shopify theme. It’s quite straightforward to customise sections within the Shopify Customize section, but you will be quite limited in what you can do with this method.
Generally, Shopify themes are limited to the point a lot of people would prefer to use a page builder app to give them more customisation.
Here’s how you can add an about us page directly in Shopify:
- Log into your Shopify admin dashboard.
- Click Online store > Pages
- If your store doesn’t already have an about us page, then click Add page button to create a new page.
- After the visual editor has opened, you will see a series of fields that will allow you to edit the following: page title, content, visibility, template, and search engine listing preview.
- Click Save. The content can be considered “Live” after clicking Save.
- Lastly, you have to add it to your store’s main menu. To add it to your menu page:
- Go to Online store > click Navigation > select the menu you want to edit
- Once on the menu page, click Add Menu Item, the item that you add will have to have a name as it would appear on your site.
- Choose the page you would like it to open to in the Link field. You can choose a link to an internal or external page. Hit add after finalizing the sections above and then click Save Menu.
Important note: one rule to creating websites is that you NEVER change the permalink of a URL after it has been published/indexed by search engines unless you really need to. It WILL damage your SEO and ranks if there are any. You can, of course, do it, but it will cause dips in rankings even if you redirect it to the new URL.
2. Using a page building app
When using a page building app, you will be given a lot more control using their no-code tools. You would most probably be able to customise something exactly the way you want to with some nice drag-and-drop features. But it does come at a cost:
|Makes it easy to build pages||You will need to pay a monthly subscription|
|Loads of great templates||It will slow down your store a little bit|
With the ease of use, always comes a cost. They don’t slow your store down enough to do anything bad, but they do add a lot more code to your theme files, which in turn does make things load a bit slower. It’s just good to be aware of this. In most cases, it won’t make any difference to your rankings, but it is good practice to keep your store running as fast as possible.
Things to look out for in a page builder:
- Do they have dynamic templates?
- Do they have enough features that are worth using a page builder for?
- Have they got pre-made templates that look good?
One thing I’ve noticed with page building apps, is they don’t progress fast. There seems to be a slow increase in features and upgrades.
For all the ones I’ve used on Shopify, I’ve never seen one use dynamic templates for your pages. For example, that can mean using one template for all blog posts. Most Shopify page builder apps don’t have this feature, which is a pain! It means if you make any styling changes to your blog post, you will need to apply it to every single page individually, rather than the blog post reading from the dynamic single template.
Which page building apps can I use?
There are quite a few apps on the Shopify app store now. One of the main apps for Shopify page building is GemPages. Secondly, PageFly is really good too. You can see our blog about the best page building apps for Shopify for more information.
Shopify About Us page templates & examples
If you’re looking for some sweet real-life examples, be sure to check out the links below!
Hopefully, these tips can help you write an about us page, if not, be sure to check out Shopify’s article on how to write one and some page examples.