When you sign up for a Shopify account, you’re assigned a shop domain name that has the format yourstorename.shopify.com. However, if you already own a domain name, you can connect it to your Shopify store. But how do you connect a domain name to Shopify?
To connect a domain name to Shopify, go to “Settings” and then “Domains”. Click on “Connect existing domain” and enter the domain name in the text field. Finally, click the “Verify connection” button and wait for the connection to be confirmed.
Read on for the steps to follow when connecting a domain name to Shopify.
Expert tips for working with domain names
- Backup your current website: Before making any changes to your domain, create a backup of your current website. This will ensure that you have a copy of your site in case anything goes wrong during the process.
- Avoid downtime: To minimize downtime during the domain connection process, consider making the changes during off-peak hours or when you expect the least amount of traffic to your website.
- Choose a domain name wisely: Select a domain name that is easy to remember, short, and reflects your brand identity. This will help customers find your store more easily.
- Use SSL: Make sure your domain is secured with an SSL certificate to encrypt data and ensure a secure connection between your customers and your Shopify store.
- Set up email forwarding: After connecting your domain to Shopify, set up email forwarding to ensure you receive emails sent to your domain-based email addresses.
- Optimize for SEO: Connecting a custom domain to your Shopify store can improve your search engine rankings. Ensure your site is optimized for SEO by using relevant keywords, and meta tags, and providing high-quality content.
- Monitor domain performance: Regularly monitor your domain’s performance and resolve any issues promptly. This will help maintain a seamless user experience and prevent potential problems.
- Renew your domain on time: Keep track of your domain registration and renewal dates to avoid losing your domain. Set reminders or use auto-renewal options provided by your domain registrar.
- Test the connection: After connecting your domain to Shopify, test the connection by visiting your domain in different web browsers and devices to ensure it’s accessible and functioning correctly.
- Seek help if needed: If you face any difficulties during the domain connection process, don’t hesitate to reach out to Shopify customer support or your domain provider’s customer support team. They will assist you in resolving any issues.
Connecting a domain name to Shopify: Step-by-step guide
1. Log in to the domain provider and change the DNS records
Before connecting your domain to Shopify, you must change its DNS (Domain Name System) records. When you access your domain name, the site must show up as being hosted by Shopify.
To change the DNS records for your domain, follow these steps:
- Log in to your account with the main provider of your domain.
- Once you’ve logged in, navigate to the DNS records section, where you need to make changes. In this area, update the A record to point to the Shopify IP address 220.127.116.11.
- Delete the other A records.
- Next, update your CNAME record to point to shops.myshopify.com.
- Click “Save“.
Tip: Consult the documentation from your provider to find out exactly how you should change your DNS records.
2. Connect the domain name to Shopify
After successfully changing your DNS records, you can connect your domain name to Shopify. Below are the steps to follow in this case:
- Log in to your Shopify account and go to “Settings“.
- From the Settings menu, click on Domains and then click the “Connect existing domain” button.
- Enter the domain name you want to use for your store and click “Next“.
- Next, click the Verify connection button.
- After you verify the domain name, it will be connected to Shopify and ready for use. This process might take up to 48 hours before your DNS records and Shopify account are correctly configured.
Pro Tip: If you want to connect multiple domain names to your Shopify store, it’s a good idea to do them one at a time. This will ensure that each domain name is set up correctly before moving on to the next.
The above method of connecting a domain name to Shopify applies if you use any provider apart from GoDaddy, Google Domains, or 1&1 IONOS. If you use one of these providers, you need to follow a different set of steps, which we’ll describe below.
Automatically connect GoDaddy, Google Domains, or 1&1 IONOS
As we mentioned, your setup process is slightly different if you use one of these three providers. Here are the steps to follow to connect a domain name to Shopify if you use GoDaddy, Google Domains, or 1&1 IONOS:
- Log in to your Shopify admin account and click “Settings“.
- Click the “Domains” button.
- Click “Connect existing domain” and enter the domain name you want to use with your Shopify store.
- Click “Next“.
- In the next section, click “Connect automatically“. A new window will pop up, asking you to log in to your provider.
- After you log in, a new window will pop up, asking you to confirm the domain connection.
- Click “OK” to finish connecting your domain.
Here’s a quick video demo that shows you how to connect a domain name to Shopify:
Note: This process can take up to 48 hours before the domain is fully set up and ready for use. In addition, these steps may vary slightly depending on your particular provider. Therefore, it’s best to read the documentation provided by your provider before beginning the setup process.
And if you need help, contact the provider’s customer support team. They will be happy to answer any questions you might have about connecting a domain name to Shopify.
What is an A record and a CNAME record, and why do I need to update them?
An A record maps a domain name to an IP address, while a CNAME record maps a domain name to another domain name. You need to update these records to point your domain to Shopify’s servers, which ensures that your Shopify store is displayed when someone visits your domain.
Can I connect my domain name to Shopify without affecting my existing email services?
Yes, connecting your domain to Shopify should not impact your existing email services. However, you may need to set up email forwarding after connecting your domain to ensure you receive emails sent to your domain-based email addresses.
Will connecting a custom domain to my Shopify store improve its search engine ranking?
Connecting a custom domain to your Shopify store can contribute to better search engine rankings. However, you should also focus on optimizing your site for SEO by using relevant keywords, meta tags, and providing high-quality content.
How do I ensure a secure connection between my customers and my Shopify store?
Shopify automatically provides SSL certificates for all connected domains, which encrypt data and ensure a secure connection between your customers and your store.
What should I do if I encounter issues while connecting my domain to Shopify?
If you face any difficulties, reach out to Shopify customer support or your domain provider’s customer support team. They will assist you in resolving any issues.
Alternatively, you can backtrack on your actions one step at a time to try and find out what may have gone wrong.
How do I monitor my domain’s performance after connecting it to Shopify?
To monitor your domain’s performance, you can use various tools like Google Analytics or other website performance monitoring tools. Regularly check for issues, such as slow page loading, broken links, or other problems, and resolve them promptly to maintain a seamless user experience.
Now, you can start using your domain name with your Shopify store and take advantage of this powerful eCommerce platform. Remember that it can take up to 48 hours for the connection process to finish, so be patient and double-check your work.
If you encounter any issues or have questions about the process, contact Shopify customer support or reach out to the customer support team from your domain provider.