A favicon is a little icon next to your website’s title in someone’s browser tab. It’s a great way to make your store more recognizable, and it only takes a few minutes to add one to your Shopify store.
To add a favicon to your Shopify store, choose an image representing your brand, open the theme editor in your Shopify dashboard, and upload or select your image in the Favicon settings. You can also add alt text to help accessibility devices describe the image more easily.
In this post, we’ll show you how to add a favicon to your Shopify store in 5 easy steps.
Step-by-step: How to add a favicon to your Shopify store
1. Choose a favicon image
Choose an image you want to use to add a favicon to your Shopify store. There are many options when choosing a favicon, including your logo or another image representing your brand.
Once you’ve found an image you like, save it as a PNG file so that it’s easy to upload to your Shopify store.
2. Open themes settings
After you’ve selected your image and ensured it’s saved as a PNG file for easy upload, follow these steps to navigate to your themes settings:
- Go to the “Online Store” section on your Shopify dashboard.
- From the Online Store, click on “Themes“.
- Select the theme you want to edit.
3. Find & click Favicon
Now that you’ve opened the theme editor follow these steps to find your Favicon:
- Look for the Favicon section near the top of the settings.
- Click on “Favicon” to open a window to upload or select your image.
It’s a good idea to know which image you want to use since it will make your upload experience much quicker.
4. Upload & select your icon
When you click on Favicon, you’ll be presented with a couple of options:
- Uploading an image from your device.
- Using your image library to select an icon.
Follow the instructions below to upload your chosen image:
- If you have already uploaded an image to Shopify (for example, as a logo), you can easily select it from the image library by clicking “Select from Library“.
- If this is the first time you have used this function and haven’t uploaded any images, click “Upload” to search your device for your desired image.
Alternatively, once you’ve clicked “Select Image” to upload an image, you should see an option called “Free images“. This is a collection of free images that Shopify provides to all its users. You can use these however you like.
5. Add alt text to the image
Finally, add alt text to your icon image, so it’s easier for accessibility devices like screen readers to describe it to customers. Here’s how to do that:
- Select “Edit” once you’re back to the menu where you originally uploaded your favicon image.
- Add your alt text. Alt text should be the text that describes the image and what’s in it. (e.g., “Teckers logo“.
- Once you’ve added the alt text, click “Save“ to finish adding your favicon to your Shopify store.
Why should I add a favicon to my Shopify store?
It adds that extra oomph when adding the finishing touches to your store. That oomph may not seem like much, but the little things added up make your store look like one of the best sites out there. So, we highly recommend you take steps like this when looking to improve your store in any way you can.
Deciding to add a favicon to your Shopify store is quick and easy and can help enhance your brand identity to make your store more recognizable. It’s one of the recommended steps to follow when creating or improving a Shopify store as much as possible.